3M Teaching Fellowship
Memorial Deadline: Friday 28th, June 2019
External Deadline: Monday 30th, September 2019
Nominators are advised to contact Ellen Steinhauer , Manager, Awards and Honours, SIRI, for information on this program, if they are interested in these competitions.
The 3M National Teaching Fellowship 2020 Call for Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the 3M National Teaching Fellowship, Canada’s most prestigious recognition of excellence in educational leadership and teaching at the university and college level.
In 1986, the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE) and 3M Canada partnered to recognize exceptional contributions to teaching and learning in Canadian post-secondary education. The community of 3M National Teaching Fellows embodies the highest ideals of teaching excellence and scholarship with a commitment to encourage and support the educational experience of every learner.
Up to ten Fellowships are selected annually.
Canada now has over 300 3M National Teaching Fellows, representing a broad range of academic disciplines from more than 80 small and large Canadian post-secondary institutions. After their invitation to join the Fellowship, new Fellows continue to support teaching and learning at their own institutions and through larger, collaborative initiatives, supported by the Council of 3M Fellows and the STLHE.
- The Fellowship is open to any individual currently teaching at a Canadian university or college, regardless of discipline, program, level, or term of appointment. All post-secondary institutions in Canada (universities, colleges, cégeps, polytechnics, and so on) are included.
- Nominees need not be members of STLHE.
- The Call for Nominations is distributed by email to the offices of the Provosts and Vice-Presidents (Academic) at all Canadian universities and colleges, to Educational Development Centres, and to members of STLHE
- Almost anyone can nominate a candidate for the Fellowship. STLHE encourages nominations from administrators, department heads, colleagues, and former students.
- Nominations in both English and French are welcome.
Once selected, the new Fellows can look forward to several productive and enjoyable opportunities. They will become life members of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and the Council of 3M National Fellows for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. New Fellows will also be invited to attend the STLHE annual conference (9 – 12 June 2020) and a teaching and learning retreat at the Château Montebello, 6 – 10 November 2020. Nominated Fellows should set aside both dates.
The retreat is an opportunity for personal and professional renewal. New Fellows spend many hours in free-flowing conversation about personal, professional, and scholarly issues in higher education.
The 3M Program pays all the new Fellows’ expenses for the November Retreat; it is expected that the Fellows’ home institutions will support travel, accommodation, and registration at the STLHE Conference in June. Unfortunately, STLHE cannot cover the costs of attending the conference.