Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) – Innovation Fund (IF) Internal call for Expressions of Interest
Academic Unit: Inquire with Unit
Memorial Deadline: Monday 3rd, December 2018
This opportunity is administered by Strategic Institutional Research Initiatives (SIRI). Inquiries can be directed to Pam White, email@example.com.
It is anticipated that the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) will launch an Innovation Fund (IF) competition in 2019. In preparation for this call, Memorial University is now seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI). For past IF opportunities, the CFI has encouraged eligible institutions and their researchers to craft proposals that: a) focus on excellence, b) build on research strengths, and c) incorporate collaboration (including inter-institutional collaboration) as a means to ensure the long-term sustainability of the Canadian research enterprise. The CFI encourages institutions to propose institutional and multi-institutional initiatives that underpin productive research partnerships, enable institutions and their researchers to fully exploit the capabilities and capacity of the research infrastructure and facilities, and drive world-class research.
For this competition, as with past IF opportunities, we anticipate that the CFI will only consider proposals whose total project costs are greater than $750,000. As in previous competitions, we anticipate that CFI will place an upper limit on the total value of funding that eligible institutions may request, provided that it engages in multiple applications. Based on our institutional envelope in the last CFI IF competition, we expect an envelope of $10M will be allocated to Memorial. Given that CFI will fund a maximum of 40% of total project costs, this would allow for a total value of projects at $25M. We further anticipate that, as allowed in prior CFI IF competitions, if Memorial will support only one application in the IF competition, we will not be limited to our institutional envelope of $10M; however, an ask exceeding $10M will of course increase the amount of matching funds the institution would need to secure to achieve an award agreement with CFI.
EOI’s must be received by the Office of Strategic Institutional Research Initiatives (SIRI) not later than 4:00 pm on Monday, December 3, 2018. The EOIs should be no more than 5 pages in length (shorter submissions are acceptable), excluding CVs, and include the following information:
- – A description of the proposed transformative infrastructure project and the underpinning cutting-edge, globally competitive research that will be supported by the infrastructure. Researchers are encouraged to review guidelines from the 2016 CFI IF funding opportunity (see: https://www.innovation.ca/awards/innovation-fund) as a guide to the objectives of this funding program.
– Fit with Memorial’s Research Strategy Framework, specifically referencing relevant Strategic Research Themes and select Goals and Objectives of the plan (see: http://www.mun.ca/research/explore/framework/)
– A list of up to 10 research team members, including the Project Leader, and their affiliations
– A list of partnering Institutions and CFI IF envelope requested from partnering CFI-eligible Institutions where applicable
– Estimated Total Project Cost (including renovation cost estimates). Project cost estimates should show a breakdown of the CFI request (not to exceed 40% of total project costs) and potential sources of match funding (see note below re: Provincial matching funds). Applicants are encouraged to contact SIRI on or before November 26th, 2018 to review draft match funding plans.
– CV for the Project Leader only (for multi-institutional projects where the lead Institution is not Memorial, the CV of the project member lead at Memorial should be provided). There are no restrictions on CV format; however, CVs submitted should at a minimum include a section showing funding secured and applied for by the Project Leader.
– A completed EOI approval form (see attachments below)
Please note that any additional information provided beyond that requested will not be considered as part of the EOI process. EOIs and approval forms may be forwarded to SIRI via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org EOIs must align with research infrastructure priorities identified by academic units in forecasts co-submitted by Deans.
EOIs will be assessed by an internal Advisory Committee, appointed by the Vice President (Research). The assessment process will be completed by Monday, December 17, 2018. Only those EOIs selected by the Advisory Committee will be eligible to apply to the 2019 CFI IF competition. All applicants will be notified in writing of the results.
Once the EOIs have been internally awarded, SIRI will begin setting up regular meetings with the application teams to assist in the development of NOI(s) and the full proposal(s).
If there are any questions regarding this upcoming CFI IF competition, please contact Pamela White, email@example.com, SIRI, before the November 26th and December 3rd, 2018 deadlines.
Provincial Matching Funds
At present, we understand that matching funds from InnovateNL are severely limited and amount to only a few million dollars. In addition, multi-year funding is not likely to be supported. Therefore, if Memorial were successful in requesting $10M from CFI, and needed $15M in matching funds to secure funding from CFI, significant amounts of matching funding would need to be identified from sources outside of provincial leverage funding opportunities. While InnovateNL does not specify caps in its leverage funding programs, researchers must consider a variety of matching fund sources in developing their EOIs.