Academic Unit: Inquire with Unit
Memorial Deadline: Thursday 26th, September 2019
External Deadline: Tuesday 1st, October 2019
Note to applicants:
- 1) This opportunity is submitted using CIHR’s e-approval process which means that they must be “submitted” on ResearchNet by the internal MUN deadline as the applications will then be routed to RGCS for review and e-submission to CIHR;
- 2) Sponsor assessments (required element of the applications) must be uploaded by the sponsors at least 48 hours prior to the internal MUN deadline. Otherwise, the ResearchNet portal may not allow applicants to click “submit”.
Fellowships provide support for highly qualified applicants in all areas of health research at the post-PhD degree or post-health professional degree stages to add to their experience by engaging in health research either in Canada or abroad.
CIHR and partner(s) financial contributions for this initiative are subject to availability of funds. Should CIHR or partner(s) funding levels not be available or are decreased due to unforeseen circumstances, CIHR and partner(s) reserve the right to reduce, defer or suspend financial contributions to awards received as a result of this funding opportunity.
- The awards consist of a stipend and a research allowance and are valued in Canadian dollars. It is anticipated that approximately $21 million over five years will be available through this competition.
- The maximum amount awarded for a single award is up to $60,000 per annum for up to 5 years. The value and duration of each award is determined by the degree(s) held, licensure (where applicable), location of tenure and experience of the applicant.
The annual stipend level for:
- Trainees with a PhD degree is $40,000 per annum.
- Health Professionals who hold licensure (full or educational) in Canada and have less than 2 years of research or clinical training experience is $40,000 per annum. Upon completion of two years of postgraduate research training, the awardee may be eligible to receive a stipend increase to the higher level.
- Health Professionals who hold licensure (full or educational) in Canada and have two or more years of research or clinical training experience is $50,000 per annum.
- Health professionals who do not hold licensure in Canada is $21,000 per annum. Upon completion of two years of postgraduate research training, the stipend may increase to $40,000 per annum.
For awards physically held outside Canada, $5,000 is added to the annual stipend.
Research allowance: $5,000 per annum.
Duration of Support
The maximum duration of support, taking into account all federal funding held, will depend on the degree(s) held by the applicant. For holders of a:
- PhD degree, or PhD and health professional degrees, the maximum period of support is three (3) years.
- Health professional degree who are not requesting support to pursue a graduate degree, the maximum period of support is four (4) years.
- Health professional degree who are requesting support to pursue a graduate degree, the maximum period of support to complete the degree is five (5) years.
Note: Health Professionals who receive funding through this program to pursue a graduate degree must terminate their award upon completion of the degree. Applicants must submit a new application to be considered under this program as PhD holders.