CIHR Operating Grant: Clinical Trials Projects – Letter of Intent
Academic Unit: inquire with unit
Memorial Deadline: not required for LOI
External Deadline: Tuesday 22nd, August 2023
The Clinical Trials Fund (CTF) is an integral part of Canada’s Biomanufacturing and Life Sciences Strategy (BLSS).
In 2022, CIHR launched three CTF funding opportunities that provided up to three years of funding for:
- a pan-Canadian clinical trials consortium to provide a coordination infrastructure;
- training platforms aimed at developing the skills of highly qualified personnel (HQP) to design, conduct and implement clinical trials; and
- clinical trials with a variety of phases and research topics in support of the BLSS (see January 2023 decisions).
This funding opportunity will provide funding for additional clinical trial projects, aligned with the objectives and priorities of the BLSS.
This funding opportunity will support projects relevant to at least one of the following research areas:
- Clinical trials for new or repurposed drugs (including vaccines and biologic drugs) and medical devices (such as diagnostic tests) to prevent or respond to health emergencies*.
- Early phase (pilot, Phase 1 and Phase 2) clinical trials of safety and efficacy to support the development and commercialization of new health products with high potential to solve current and future health challenges (such as pandemics, antimicrobial resistance, and other health emergencies)
- New health products of particular interest for this opportunity include those in emerging technology areas (e.g., precision medicines, including cell and gene therapies, RNA, and viral vectors, and monoclonal antibodies).
*Note: The CIHR Centre for Research on Pandemic Preparedness and Health Emergencies has developed a working definition of health emergency as:
“A present or imminent event or phenomenon, of a temporary, acute nature, with actual or potential significant negative impacts on human health, resulting in:
- A serious disruption of the functioning of a geographic, social or other community, and/or
- The declaration of a state of emergency by a municipal, provincial/territorial, federal or Indigenous government, or international partner/s, and that;
- Requires prompt research action to address the immediate/acute health impacts”
CIHR will be hosting webinar(s) to support participants with the requirements of this funding opportunity and to answer questions. To find out more information and to register, visit the Webinars page.
Letter of Intent – 2023-08-22
Full Application – 2023-11-21
See ResearchNet for more information.