Mitacs – JSPS Summer Program
Academic Unit: Inquire with your unit
Memorial Deadline: Tuesday 24th, November 2020
External Deadline: Tuesday 1st, December 2020
The Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program, offered in partnership with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), provides opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in Canada to pursue collaborative research in Japan. This program allows graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in Canada to advance their own research while promoting scientific progress in both Japan and Canada.
The call for applications will open on October 12, 2020, and close on November 12, 2020, at 5 p.m. PT. Results will be communicated in April. Applications are awarded competitively and subject to available funding.
Important: Projects must take place during the period set by the JSPS. The dates for the 2021 program are June 16 – August 18, 2021. More details can be found here. Note that dates are tentative and may be subject to change.
Please note that Canadian university professors are required to submit the complete Mitacs-JSPS application form to Mitacs before the deadline. If you are a student interested in applying for the Mitacs-JSPS summer program, you must find a professor at your home Canadian university who will need to obtain endorsement from the Canadian university before you start your application.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Program at a glance
- Open to: graduate students and postdoctoral fellows at Canadian universities in all disciplines
- Participants must obtain their Canadian university’s endorsement (see the ‘How to Apply’ tab for more details)
- Citizenship: Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Funding: JSPS arranges round-trip airfare and insurance. Mitacs and JSPS provide an allowance for the student or postdoctoral fellow (equivalent to 534,000 yen in total). Host supervisors are eligible for a research support allowance.
- Destination: universities and research institutes in Japan
- Project dates: June 16 – August 18, 2021. Dates are tentative and subject to change.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to read more about the program on the JSPS’s website.