New Frontiers in Research Fund – 2020 Transformation Competition – LOI
Academic Unit: Inquire with Unit
Memorial Deadline: Thursday 9th, July 2020
External Deadline: Wednesday 15th, July 2020
SIRI will be offering support with application development for this opportunity. Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact Jennifer Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org) early during the development process to discuss the services available to them.
The objective of the Transformation stream is to support large-scale, Canadian-led interdisciplinary research projects that address a major challenge with the potential to realize real and lasting change. The challenge may be fundamental, leading to a scientific breakthrough, or applied, with a social, economic, environmental or health impact. Projects are expected to be world-leading, drawing on global research expertise, when relevant.
Transformation stream grants will support projects that:
- -tackle a well-defined problem or challenge;
- -propose a novel world-leading approach that is different from the current state-of-the-art approaches to the issue;
- -are interdisciplinary, bringing different perspectives to the defined problem; and
- -have the potential to be transformative, defined as the potential to create a significant and real change or impact—a noticeable leap or tangible breakthrough rather than an incremental advance.
The definition of transformative is linked to the Canada Foundation for Innovation’s proposed definition of convergence research (PDF, 726 KB), where “convergence research is increasingly seen as the way to solve pressing challenges.” It is aligned with the National Science Foundation’s definition of convergence research, focusing on research driven by a specific and compelling problem and deep integration across disciplines. It also has strong parallels to Horizon Europe in its reference to mission-oriented research and innovation with bold and concrete objectives to respond to societal challenges.
Additional information can be found here.
** In preparation for the next deadline, submission of the LOI, two webinars will be presented. The dates, times and links to the webinar sessions are below. The links to the sessions will be active on our website approximately one hour prior to the start time. Please note that Eastern Time is used.
- February 26th – Transformation LOI – French
- 10 AM to 12 PM Eastern Time
- Meeting link – Password: vM3jaXr6
- February 26th – Transformation LOI – English
- 1 PM to 3 PM Eastern Time
- Meeting link – Password: V9uDRhMx
Webinars will be recorded. Recordings and the presentation slides will be made available to RGOs shortly after the session.
For more information, please contact: NFRF-FNFR@chairs-chaires.gc.ca