Northern Science Award
Memorial Deadline: Wednesday 30th, October 2019
External Deadline: Friday 31st, January 2020
Nominators are advised to contact Ellen Steinhauer , Manager, Awards and Honours, SIRI, for information on this program, if they are interested in these competitions.
The Northern Science Award is presented annually to an individual or a group who has made a significant contribution to meritorious knowledge and understanding of the Canadian North and, in the spirit of the last International Polar Year (2007-2008), recognizes the transformation of knowledge into action.
Laureates of the award receive the Centenary Medal and $10,000.
Until 1997, the award was presented to an individual who made distinguished contributions to northern Canada through scientific work. In recognition of the contribution of indigenous knowledge to the scientific understanding of the North, the eligibility requirements for the award were expanded to include indigenous groups who possess and share indigenous knowledge.
Definition of northern science
For the purpose of this award, “northern” is defined as that part of Canada that lies north of the southern limit of discontinuous permafrost and “science” refers to all fields of inquiry, including those based upon indigenous knowledge, that advance our understanding of the natural world and society.
Anyone can make a nomination. The term “candidate” includes either an individual or a group. The nominator should provide to the selection committee:
- A letter of nomination clearly demonstrating the merit of the accomplishment of the candidate (in 500 words or less);
- Supporting documentation includes:
- the candidate’s curriculum vitae (10 pages)
- evidence of the candidate’s scientific achievements in northern science (research activities, publications, other awards and distinctions, professional and public services, sharing of indigenous knowledge)
- evidence of the application of the new knowledge and its impacts
- Three letters of support highlighting the candidate’s achievement(s).
Nominations must be submitted electronically (in .pdf format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org