Northern Scientific Training Program
Academic Unit: Inquire with Unit
Memorial Deadline: Monday 29th, October 2018
This program offers supplementary funding to assist students in the completion of research projects in the North. Graduate and senior undergraduate students from any discipline who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may apply in conjunction with their faculty supervisor.
Undergraduate and Graduate students who meet the program eligibility requirements, under the supervision of a full-time faculty member or regular term appointee, are invited to submit an application to the Northern Scientific Training Program (NSTP) offered at Memorial. Research awards resulting from Memorial’s NSTP competition will be made available during the term May 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020.
An NSTP award is intended to assist in defraying the additional costs attributed to northern research projects (i.e. transportation, living expenses, freight costs and interpreter fees). NSTP funds are not intended as a source of primary support for students, nor as on-going support in the form of general scholarships. Applicants are asked to clearly indicate other sources of funding on the application.
DURATION OF THE AWARD
Awarded funding will be made available during the term May 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020. Award funding not utilized by March 31, 2020 will be returned to NSTP.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Students must be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident and must be enrolled in a degree program at a Canadian University.
NSTP will provide one year of funding for thesis-based research at the undergraduate level, up to two years of funding for thesis-based research at the Masters level and up to three years of funding for thesis-based research at the Doctoral level. Students can apply and be granted funding in any year of their programs.
- Post-doctoral researchers and research assistants are not supported.
- A student cannot be allocated NSTP funds through two universities at the same time.
- Students cannot be allocated NSTP funds if they are going to be employed for their research while in the field. Research assistantships, scholarships or other university stipends are not considered as employment or remuneration in this context.
FULL APPLICATION PACKAGE INCLUDES
- 1) Student application form, including supervisor recommendation, using the NSTP online application platform https://nstp-pfsn.fluidreview.com . Once both student and supervisor portions are complete and submitted online, RGCS will have access to your finalized submission and will print the application to be held pending receipt of the other application components by the RGCS deadline.
- 2) RGCS Supplementary Information Form (form fillable) for 2019-2020 NSTP Program to be submitted to Research Grant and Contract Services via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). (https://research-tools.mun.ca/funding/opportunities/northern-scientific-training-program-2/)
- 3) RGCS Departmental/Faculty Approval Form for 2019-2020 NSTP Program to be submitted to Research Grant and Contract Services via e-mail (email@example.com). (https://research-tools.mun.ca/funding/opportunities/northern-scientific-training-program-2/)
Upon receipt of the above-noted completed full application package at RGCS, confirmation of receipt of documentation will be sent by email, via the MUN e-mail account provided in the documentation. If you have not received confirmation of receipt within two business days of the application deadline, immediately contact Michelle Butt firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure fairness in what is becoming a very competitive environment for research grants, completed full applications packages must be received by Research Grant and Contract Services by October 29, 2018 at 5:00 pm. Please consult with your academic unit as they may set their own unit deadlines prior to the competition deadline noted above.
Michelle Butt, Internal Grants Coordinator, Research Grant and Contract Services email@example.com or 709-864-8368
Updated program documentation will be uploaded once received from sponsor.