SSHRC – Imagining Canada’s Future Ideas Lab: Canada and the Circular Economy – July 2021 Competition Stage 2
Academic Unit: Inquire within your unit
Memorial Deadline: Monday 17th, January 2022
External Deadline: Thursday 20th, January 2022
By Invitation Only from Stage I
SSHRC invites letters of interest from researchers wanting to participate in a virtual, interactive and interdisciplinary research design workshop taking place over two weeks at the end of October 2021.
This virtual workshop is the first stage of the Imagining Canada’s Future (ICF) Ideas Lab, a multistep funding opportunity. At this workshop, up to 30 researchers will participate in facilitated activities before organizing themselves into multidisciplinary teams to develop and pitch innovative project ideas. During the second stage of the ICF Ideas Lab, teams whose partnerships and project ideas successfully met the evaluation criteria for workshop pitches will be invited to apply for funding to further develop their projects.
Global challenges, such as those identified through SSHRC’s Imagining Canada’s Future initiative, are best addressed through proactive, interdisciplinary collaborations. Ideas Labs create new research collaborations that transcend institutional and disciplinary silos and encourage different ways of thinking, and are therefore well suited to addressing these challenges.
Stage 1: Virtual workshop
Successful applicants to this workshop will be expected to:
- *actively participate in all workshop activities scheduled to take place October 18 to 29, 2021;
- * contribute to the formation of interdisciplinary teams at the workshop, which will develop project ideas addressing the theme of Canada and the Circular Economy; and
- *as part of a team, present a project idea to the merit review committee on the last day of the workshop, outlining how the team and project idea meet the interdisciplinary, innovative and societal relevance criteria of this funding opportunity.
Stage 2: Funding opportunity
Following the workshop, the merit review committee will evaluate the project ideas presented on the final day and select the teams with the most promising proposals that meet the ICF Ideas Lab criteria. These teams will be invited to apply for funding to support the development of their partnerships and the advancement of their project ideas.
Successful teams that are selected for funding will be expected to:
- * formalize their partnerships through agreements, governance frameworks and/or strategic plans;
- * establish connections with stakeholders in relevant sectors;
- * advance their project by undertaking preliminary research;
- * participate in a forum (virtual or in-person) organized by SSHRC; and
- * seek out full project funding from SSHRC and other research agencies at the end of the two-year grant.
Only those teams whose project ideas and partnerships successfully meet the workshop’s evaluation criteria will be invited to apply for funding. There is no limit on the number of teams to be invited.
ICF Ideas Lab grants are valued at up to $125,000 per year over two years, up to a total of $250,000. Up to three grants will be awarded.
Additional infomation can be found on the SSHRC Website
|Stage 2: Funding opportunity|
|Value||Up to $250,000|
|Number of awards||Up to three|
|Application deadline||January 20, 2022 (8 p.m. eastern)|
|Results announced||March 2022|
|Apply||The call for Stage 2 will be released in November 2021. Only participants in the workshop will be invited to apply.|