Supplements to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) Program 2022
Academic Unit: Inquire with Unit
Memorial Deadline: Tuesday 10th, January 2023
External Deadline: Friday 13th, January 2023
The objective of this Supplements to the NSERC PDF Program AO is to award a grant supplement to postdoctoral researchers who will have been awarded an NSERC postdoctoral fellowship under NSERC‘s PDF program.
NSERC‘s program provides support to a core of the most promising researchers at a pivotal time in their careers. The fellowships also aim to secure a supply of highly qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research skills for Canadian industry, government and academic institutions.
As part of its commitment to support the development of the next generation of space professionals in Canada, the CSA will offer up to five (5) supplements in the amount of $20,000 to postdoctoral researchers who have been awarded an NSERC postdoctoral fellowship, and who are involved in a promising research project that is aligned with and that will contribute to the priorities outlined in the Space Strategy for Canada. The CSA invites postdoctoral researchers interested by this opportunity to apply for a grant supplement through this AO.
Applicants who are selected to receive a grant under this AO may also be offered short-term employment opportunities within the CSA.
This AO is consistent with the terms and conditions of the CSA Class Grant and Contribution Program to Support Research, Awareness and Learning in Space Science and Technology –Learning Component.
Applicants are asked to read the following AO thoroughly before submitting their applications. This AO was prepared to help applicants complete the application process, and outlines key elements, including mandatory criteria for eligibility, details on eligible projects and the selection process. In the event of any discrepancies between this AO and the individual funding grant agreement, the latter document will take precedence.
2. AO objectives
The key objectives of this AO are to:
- Develop a critical mass of researchers in space-related areas in Canada;
- Provide young researchers with a research opportunity under the supervision and mentorship of a more senior researcher;
- Increase the value of postdoctoral researchers for future employers in the space sector by exposing them to practical experiences that will enable them to acquire space science and technology knowledge and skills sought by the space sector;
- Advance space scientific knowledge and/or develop new space technologies.
3. Eligibility criteria
To be awarded a grant under the Supplements to the NSERCPDF Program initiative, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- Be a postdoctoral fellow and conduct a research project under the supervision and mentorship of a more senior researcher in a Canadian academic institution or another appropriate research institution in Canada;
- Be awarded, and have accepted, an NSERC postdoctoral fellowship under NSERC‘s PDF Program ( call for proposals) (see note below).
Note: At the time of submitting an application under this AO, it is not expected that NSERC will have awarded its postdoctoral fellowships. However, proof that these eligibility criteria have been met may be requested prior to finalizing the grant agreement.
Additional information can be found here.